threat-endurable

Author Topic: HOW TO: fail at attacking  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
HOW TO: fail at attacking
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
Logged on this morning, search the galaxy and found a juicy target
Fleet just sitting there... loads of resources, thought hey I'm having some of that so
went to battlecalc entered all the details and saw it was good

worked out how long it would take to get there
10hr flight time for recyclers
approx 6 hr flight time for main fleet

So off they went, the families waved goodbye to the crew of the recyclers, and then the wait as the commander told the troops of the coming battle.
All were tense. then as the time got close as the tension arose through the ranks, the commander called his officers one last time for the battle briefing

Ok, this is how it is going to go, we land 10 minutes before the recyclers land to clean up the debris that we are about to create.
First, Apollo and Artemis squadrons will attack the bulk of the defending force
Second Ares bomber squadron with Athena's support with blast the planet defences
Then we mop up
All set....
then lets go, and so they launched with a glorious fanfare.

You would think that all the bases had been covered with this attack, the glory of the empire was at stake. But you would be wrong, once all the ships were on their way it was noticed that....

the harvesters arrived 30 sec's before the attack..... Opps

So they were all called back in disgrace and they officer was shot his excuse was that his watch was slow.

Moral of the story is get a better watch or else learn to tell the time

::)
We all must learn or die
All questions are hard until you know the answer

Offline Riker

• View Profile
Re: HOW TO: fail at attacking
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:30:28 PM »
Oh man, that is funny but we have all been there and done that.

Offline Scrotus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »
sounds like you could have just slowed the attack ship wave, unless I missed something here.

Offline Sandman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
sounds like you could have just slowed the attack ship wave, unless I missed something here.
He'd have needed to speed them up...
Socrates you fail to see a lot, please give up  ;-)

Offline Scrotus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
oops, sorry. guess my time thinking is backasswards today

Offline darta987

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
my main thought was

10 hrs for dions and 6hrs for battle fleet

so u waited 4 hrs to launch attack?

and wait........ 10 hrs attack?

who is your target that hes off 10 hrs?

i could do with some of them

Offline Capt. Nik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:22 AM »
Lol, funny story but like Riker said, we all been there.

6hrs is a really long attack time.... Try to avoid using hercs, proms & ares on long range hits.

Also, if your plunder will mostly cover the losses, then send off the attack immediately as well. (at higher rank, DF is not so important, and you will always send them off together unless pre-planned).

Once you go up higher on rank, you will need to greatly reduce your attack time for it to be successful. So ares and proms are usually avoided. While hercs are never used.

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »
@Capt Nik

I understand, the point of the original message was to have a laugh at a newbie and a classic mistake.

However I refer to your post, if on a long distance attack you do not use hercs, I take it that is because they are slower than other attacking ships, do you use atlases instead to collect the spoils of war (not debris) or is there a ship that I have not found yet that will carry cargo

@darta987
target is still there with all their fleet just sitting there after 24hrs
going for another look later today, see if I can get the timing right this time  :-[

@all others
Glad you enjoyed the laugh...
We all must learn or die
All questions are hard until you know the answer

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »
if on a long distance attack you do not use hercs, I take it that is because they are slower than other attacking ships, do you use atlases instead to collect the spoils of war (not debris) or is there a ship that I have not found yet that will carry cargo

Actually, all ships hold some cargo.  Eventually players tend to have enough attack ships, in particular Athenas, to hold the plunder from their targets without sending cargo ships for that purpose.

Offline Riker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
When I run my battle sims I run them without the cargo ships to see if I plunder everything with just my attack ships.  All ships hold cargo and will take cargo with them from an attack.  If there are no defenses then I will send cargo ships in waves after the battle to clean up.

Offline Capt. Nik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 01:57:30 AM »
However I refer to your post, if on a long distance attack you do not use hercs, I take it that is because they are slower than other attacking ships, do you use atlases instead to collect the spoils of war (not debris) or is there a ship that I have not found yet that will carry cargo

Yes, use atlas when you need additional cargo space. While they are weaker than hercs, they are much faster, giving you a higher chance of success PLUS you can turn your fleet around faster and go for another target.

You should consider joining one of the training alliances which can guide you more closely (such as Riker's alliance).

Offline KamnemS

• Facebook - KamnemS
    • Skype - KamnemSCC
    • View Profile
HOW TO fail at attacking
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 11:36:51 PM »
I think one of the things I have to learn is how to choose the appropriate map...for example, if you are facing a Thanos, do not choose a map that is wide open like the map included in the B.P.R.D. set or the Space map...so, my question is, which maps are good for which situations?

birthmark-ant