threat-endurable

Author Topic: New Colony hard to find  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
New Colony hard to find
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Am I missing something?
Is there anyway to find a decent planet to colonize without sending loads of colony ships to remote parts only to find they have less than 80 fields?
Which after 20hr flight time is deflating so far I have had to abandon 8 planets or do I keep looking  :(
We all must learn or die
All questions are hard until you know the answer

Offline Anya Faith

• View Profile
Re: New Colony hard to find
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Well you can always use the Planet Surveyor to help add fields to the planet also my best luck has been colonizing slots 4-6... They give great solar energy if you build sats but don't produce as much hydro. I would also suggest sending 20 at the same slot. About 2 minutes apart then abandoning them one at a time but you have to make sure your on otherwise if you end up with a crappy field one and you don't abandon them they will all bounce back to the planet you sent them from.
Socrates is the most annoying ignorant person I have ever virtually met.

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:09 PM »
So if I understand this right, by sending more than one ship to the same site I could end up with a good planet, its that random

We all must learn or die

Offline Anya Faith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »
Yes it is exactly that random. :)
Socrates is the most annoying ignorant person I have ever virtually met.

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
Thanks Anya

Its good to know I will try again now
 8)
We all must learn or die

Offline Riker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
it is random as to the planet sizes.  The survoyer should help and then aiming for slots 4 to 6.  I have found that normally 1 in 10 will return a planet with a decent field size.  So save up your gaia's and launch them one at a time with 2-5 min between each one.  This way you will have time to review if the planet is decent and if you want to keep it or abandon before the next one arrives.

Offline yre2270

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
If you are intending to put more than 1 in the same system it pays to send several gaia on the same colonize mission to the first slot, if it is a dud fire the extra gaia to a nearby slot one at a time till you get a good colony.  then move everything from the dud to the good colony, delete the dud and repeat.

Offline Audacious

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
it is random as to the planet sizes.  The survoyer should help and then aiming for slots 4 to 6.  I have found that normally 1 in 10 will return a planet with a decent field size.  So save up your gaia's and launch them one at a time with 2-5 min between each one.  This way you will have time to review if the planet is decent and if you want to keep it or abandon before the next one arrives.

My math tells me that a slot 4 gives you around a 32% chance of getting a 200+ fielder each colony attempt without the colony commander. Slightly less on 5 and 6.

I think you may just be unlucky.

Offline yre2270

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
The original poster in this thread did not define what a "decent"colony would be, other than to say 80 or less fields did not meet the definition.  If "decent" is defined as over 239 fields the solution is much simpler.  Something less than 10% of the time a field number larger than 239 is received in all planet slots.  So if your cutoff is 250 just look for any empty slot and roll the dice.  (remembering while you roll the dice that the chance that you will try 100 times and still not get anything larger than 100 is larger than zero)

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:28 AM »
I agree with yre2270 and the others.  I would only point out that there actually is a "Picky Colonizer" badge which you should receive once you've abandoned 20 planets.

Offline Sandman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
I'd also say, if its the journey time thats an issue, send some res with it, build it up to Gaia capable and colonise over and over again from that planet - presuming you have 2 spare slots to do this with.
Socrates you fail to see a lot, please give up  ;-)

Offline Calalami

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
@yre2270

My Home world yielded a reasonable field size and the 3rd planet was 300 but all others that I tried for (by sending just one colony ship) yielded 80 or less hence the question, I am still at that stage where space is a premium to raise materials since I am not yet big enough to attack targets that will give an ROI that is acceptable.

@zachne
I think I am on my way to the picky badge  ;D

So I have taken the advice and send several ships to the same target and now awaiting the outcome

but thanks to all who offered advice on this subject learning the game dynamics is hard work, I don't work this hard at work  :D opps did the boss see that, oh I am the boss  8)
We all must learn or die