threat-endurable

Author Topic: Fleet Building Theory  (Read 7320 times)

Offline CaptKatt

• View Profile
Fleet Building Theory
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
I have a good starting fleet, around 225-250 each of the Capital ships, plus over 1k eack pf Arties and Apollos and a Zeus, plus all the support ships as needed.
My question being this What is best way to build up fleet to be effective for damage to defend and to do serious damage to other larger fleets. I notice a lot of the bigger players have large amount of Arties,Apollos and Posiedons as in 4k +, so what is the advantage to that?
Any ideas and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • Google+ - 100279481157780610176
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
Re: Fleet Building Theory
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:10 PM »
The smaller ships are used as fodder to lessen the chance that larger ships will be hit and destroyed in battle.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
Apollos are generally the most effective ship for the initial capital cost, but also the most expensive (in terms of fuel and losses) to operate.

Artemis can be very cost effective against capital ships and defenses.  Even though they are individually easy to destroy and do little damage, in large numbers they can deliver the most destruction for the fuel cost, and even losses.  Losses tend to be heavy at targets with lots of defensive fodder, though.

Hades also are fuel efficient, although they are foiled by Artemis and defensive fodder.  They also are less durable than other capital ships.  (So not good against Plasma, either.)

Posies are specialized mainly for attacking Artemis swarms.  You need some for that purpose, but absent a large proportion of Arties (or Missile Batteries) at the target, they stay home.

Proms are the most durable ship, although they are slow and not very fuel efficient.  They shine when attacking large targets—it's (for practical purposes) impossible to destroy a Titan without them— from in-system.  So (eventually) carrying them from system to system in a Titan is recommended.

Ares are specialized for defensive fodder, of course, although (being more durable and having greater firepower) they would also defeat an equal number of Hades in battle.  Now that NPCs (Floating Colonies) build defense sensibly, they can be useful for those.

Athenas are the generic ship, having no special advantages, except that they are as fast as Hades and cheaper to build.

In Nova, Curetes are awesome (durable fuel-efficient fodder), Thanatos are great (very slow and foiled by Space Mines, but otherwise awesome), Pallas are fair (weak and fuel inefficient) and Empusa are beneath contempt.

Offline Zarchne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:44:12 AM »
Also, Battle Mentat has an “Effectiveness” button which will give you an idea of what ships would be most cost-effective, incrementally, for a given attack.  (It gives an empirical, rather than theoretical, answer.)

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:40:36 PM »
CaptKatt are you able too buy or borrow enough for your first "Snicker" a Class 1 Vessel Introductory Lesson will come in offering Leads too further Build ups.

Hey thanks Mr Peat for bumping a thread from 4 and a half years ago.  I am sure we all can regain lost knowledge by reviewing the thread, although I am not quite sure what further knowledge you imparted.

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:45:58 AM »
Probes in great quantity are also good defensive fodder :)