threat-endurable

Author Topic: Titan tips wanted  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Xandielm

• View Profile
Titan tips wanted
« on: May 06, 2013, 07:12:34 PM »
So i have looked through a good part of the message board and have seen very little about tips on how to use a Titan.  I have seen  a post about a good fleet to have before building one and tips about how to harvest without losing your Titan but I was hoping I could get as much information as possible before I lose my Titan in the first few days.

If anyone has any tips or a link to another discussion that would be much appreciated :)

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
Re: Titan tips wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
http://forum.stardriftempires.com/index.php?topic=2565.0

Stay away from players with dark red names :)

Offline Xandielm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 04:01:34 AM »
thanks for the link! I saw this one but only read the top three posts and thought it didn't have anything else useful *facepalm*

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 05:07:22 AM »
The titan that attacked me today had 9000+ Prometheus plus an equal number of the other ships!  :-[

Offline booty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
This valuable piece of info was sent to me via ASTROVANMAN a player who knows his stuff, you may find this is very useful.    The Titan - Words To Live By
Via Astrovanman: +++++++++++I figure it's time to start a thread with information vital to anyone who intends to build and use one these ships. I know that some of you already have experience running a Titan (known in other Uni’s as a Heph) but I am going to write this for the virgins. Who knows.... you may pick up on a thing or two.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Titan is essentially a huge mobile attack platform designed to carry pretty much an unlimited number of other ships as well as a massive amount of resources. You may only have one of these ships at a time. While it is in flight it uses a fleet slot but does not use a colony slot. This means you can develop an 8th permanent colony giving you increased daily mine production since you no longer need to keep 2 open colony slots as you do with a MAC (Mobile Attack Colony).
I want to caution everyone not to get too far ahead of themselves and build one of these too soon. They are *very* slow and use a good amount of hydro to move around. Especially long distances. I would strongly suggest that you not even consider building a Titan until your daily production is 15M-20M/day *AND* your fleet comp is at these *minimum* numbers:

Battleships
10K Arties
2K Apollo
1K Posi
1K Athena
750 Hades
300 Proms

Support Ships
2K Dios
1K Atlas
500 Hercs
30 Gaia

Aside from gathering the 50M in res you will need just to build the Titan you will also need a good supply of hydro for it. 6M is the least amount I would consider but 10M is better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until you deploy your Titan to orbit its own colony slot it is nothing more than a glorified cargo ship. It can be warped and FS’d just like any other ship in your fleet. If at all possible, build it on a planet with a moon so that when you are ready to deploy it with it’s fleet it will be invisible to prying eyes (oracle scans). Once you are ready to unleash it, send it along with all the ships you want on it plus a good supply of hydro to an empty colony slot. Once the Titan lands all the ships you sent with it will automatically be placed inside.
One of THE MOST IMPORTANT things to remember about the Titan is that whenever there are ships traveling to or from it, the Titan is locked down. In other words, it cannot be moved to avoid an incoming attack. The only ship that can kill a Titan is Proms. 200 is the minimum number needed but that depends on tech levels. However, someone could launch fast movers with the sole intention of killing the fleet on it and leaving the Titan still standing.

That being said, NEVER, EVER harvest out of system from your heph. In fact, you had better have a very clear risk assessment before you even attack out of system and even then I would think twice. Even harvesting in system directly from your Titan is risky. All someone has to do is watch for the DF you made to disappear and they will know that they have nearly and hour and a half to get to you. Use a drop colony. Either to harvest from or both attack (if the risk assessment is very high) and harvest from. At least that way, you can bounce your Titan out of the way of any incoming attack.

A drop colony is where you colonize from your Titan using a Gaia sending along all the ships and hydro you intend to use. Once you are done, deploy everything back to your Titan. I recommend sending your ships back in waves based on their speed. That way, if someone tries to attack you can let the waves that will arrive before the attack continue and recall the ones that won’t. As soon as you recall the slower ships, your Titan will be free to bounce.

I cannot stress enough that you have to play smart and conservative with your Titan. Risk assessment is critical. You had better know *exactly* what is going on at least 20 systems on either side of where you are sitting. Attention and diligence are key! You have spent 50M building this beast and many times that amount in ships to stock it. Don’t mess all that up by playing stupid and losing it all in one fell swoop!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Restocking your Titan can be an issue depending on the area you are in. There are a couple of ways to do this.

The most common way is to colonize with your replacement ships in system where your Titan is sitting (or going to land) and then deploying them from there.

There is a very neat trick that I will share with you. It’s a little complicated but *very cool.

1. Send your Titan to orbit the next spot you have picked out.
2. Send a Gaia to the same spot. This must be timed to land well before your Titan so that there is sufficient time to deploy your replacement ships to the new colonization.
3. Deploy your replacement ships to the new colony timed to arrive very shortly *after* the Titan is due to land. Seconds or minutes (but not too many). Either is fine.
4. Once you have deployed the replacement ships abandon the colony. Don’t worry. Everything will continue to fly as it should. Only now, no one can see it.

How you time this all out is up to you and the travel times of all the components you are trying to marry together. I strongly suggest that you do not let that new colony sit for any longer than it takes to deploy those replacement ships. The longer it sits, the more likely it is to be seen and oracled. Done correctly, that colony should be there for less than one minute. Also, steps 1, 2, & 3 can really be done in any order. Like I said, it all depends on you and your travel times.
Astrovanman: I did forget to mention one important fact....

Should an attack destroy your Titan, not only are all the ships contained within it destroyed, but so are all the ships traveling to and from it. Only the ships that are on board count toward your attacker's DSP's and are added to the DF. The rest just evaporate in space.  ;)
Don't leave your toys laying around the yard, or someone will step on them, and break them ☺

Offline ctr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Question regarding the 'Neat Trick' what happens is some one else grabs the slot before the Titan turns up ???

Guessing this was written before Docks turned up, so how do they make a difference.

Oh lots - 2,000 +, Hades will kill a Titan as well, seeing as they are much faster. I killed my first one as it was in the next door System, i had already Probed it when it was Full, it went on an in System Attack and the Hades beat the Fleet back to the Titan - Result some Df and a New Badge.
AKA A BLock

Offline tristan863

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »
i would actually suggest adding at least 10 zeus 50-100 thanatos and higher numbers of all ships to it and if you can get a friend to hunt with you that way you can GD each other if necessary

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • Google+ - 100279481157780610176
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
Oh lots - 2,000 +, Hades will kill a Titan as well, seeing as they are much faster. I killed my first one as it was in the next door System, i had already Probed it when it was Full, it went on an in System Attack and the Hades beat the Fleet back to the Titan - Result some Df and a New Badge.

Hades are ineffective when firing against a Titan unless there is an extreme disparity in armor, weapons, and shields levels between the attacker and defender. As such, Hades alone cannot destroy a Titan.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 07:36:16 PM »
Tristan, this is stardrift, not stardrift nova.

Offline Matt H

• Blue Frog Gaming
  • Community Manager
    • Facebook - matt.hirschfelt
    • Google+ - 100279481157780610176
    • LinkedIn - matthirschfelt
    • Skype - MattH_BFG
    • Twitter - MattHirschfelt
    • View Profile
    • Blue Frog Gaming
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »
Tristan, this is stardrift, not stardrift nova.

The thread was created on a generic board for both Universes without the original poster specifying a Universe.
Connect with BFG:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Official Website
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
  |  
Connect with me:
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
LinkedIn
Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
OK

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
Yes, in Nova, I would recommend Thanatos in addition to Zeus.

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
I started to try that neat trick today in Nova, got a perfect 320 field colony.  I decided to backtrack, as that is valuable!

But, a question:  Why is the terraforming button not greyed out when 320  fields are already present?

Offline ctr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
You can as many Fields as you are willing to pay for. If you had to drop a 320 then its part of the game, done it myself, the Planets you already have should be ok for you to live with by the time you build a Titan.
AKA A BLock

Offline commander ABаб

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
The wiki entry on planets states tnat no planet under 40 or greater than 320 may exist, but I see you are right ctr, thank you!
No, I kept the 320 planet and bactracked the Titan :) .
I don't spend credits for terrforming in Nova.
I would for extra engines to speed up the Titan though.